Respect in sports
Beginning with the 2015-16 minor hockey season, parents of players in Hockey Eastern Ontario (HEO) jurisdiction will be required to take the Respect in Sport Parent Program. The Respect in Sport program is an online certification program designed to help define a model of behaviour for all parents and create a more rewarding, safe and respectful environment for everyone involved.
The program is taken online and a minimum of 1 parent/guardian from each family of every registered player in IP, Novice, and any new players (up to the Midget level) will need to take the course. The cost of this program ($12) is the responsibility of the parent/guardian of the respective player. Note that the cost is per family (one parent certified per family and other parent, step parents, grandparents, kids, etc. can take the program for free by using certified parent username and password). Completion of the Respect in Sport Parent Program shall be a condition of eligibility for a player’s participation in his/her first session for IP participants, or first regular season game for Novice and above.
Respect in Sports Clinic
Refunds of registration fees for players who decide to quit the O.M.H.A. for whatever reason, after having paid their registration, may be given according to the following formula:
- before try-outs – full refund
- on or before October 15th – 2⁄3 refund
- on or before December 1st – 1⁄3 refund
- after December 1st – no refund
Fair Play Code
- I will not force my child to participate in hockey.
- I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
- I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game.
- I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
- I will remember that children learn best by example..
- I will applaud good plays/performances by both my child’s team and their opponents.
- I will never question the officials’ judgement or honesty in public.
- I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children’s hockey games.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches who give their time to coach hockey for my child.